5 Things To Know About Whiskey
There is a lot of information out there about whiskey. Much of it is contradictory, and it can be hard to know where to start if you’re new to the spirit. In this blog post, we will outline 5 important things that all beginners should know about!
There Are Different Types of Whiskey
- Bourbon - a type of whiskey made with at least 51% corn. It's typically sweeter, distilled in Kentucky, and has a smoky flavor.
- Scotch - It is made from barley, commonly refined in Scotland. It has a peaty flavor profile, and it is often considered to be the most complex of all.
- Irish - Irish whiskey is made from corn, barley, and rye.
- Rye - it is a type of whiskey that is produced from rye grain. Made in the United States and has a spicy flavor.
How Whiskey is Made
It is made by distilling fermented grain mash. The type of grain used determines the type that is being made.
The grain mash is placed in a large container called a washback, where it is mixed with water and yeast. This mixture is then left to ferment for a period of time, typically around 48 hours.
Once fermentation is complete, the liquid is then transferred to a still, where it is distilled. The length of time that the liquid spends in the still determines the final alcohol content.
After distillation, it is then aged in oak barrels. The length of time that it spends aging will also affect its final flavor.
How To Drink Whiskey
There are many ways to enjoy it. Some people prefer it neat, while others like to add a little water or ice. No matter how you like to drink it, there are a few things you should keep in mind to make sure you're enjoying it the right way.
- Smell it before taking a sip. Picking up on subtle flavors is easy with this method.
- Take a small sip and let it sit in your mouth before swallowing. By doing this, you will be able to fully enjoy the taste.
- Add a little bit of water or ice if you find the drink too strong. This will help to open up the flavor and make it more palatable.
- Drink it slowly. This is not a race! Enjoying a glass of whiskey should be a leisurely experience.
- Don't be afraid to experiment. There are so many different types out there, so don't be afraid to try something new. You might just find your new favorite.
All whiskeys are not created equal, and one of the most important factors to consider when choosing one is its age. The longer it spends aging in oak barrels, the better it will taste.
There are a few reasons for this. First of all, as it ages, it becomes more complex and flavorful. The flavors of caramel, vanilla, and oak will become more pronounced the longer it sits in the barrel.
Secondly, as time passes, it loses its harshness. This means that younger whiskeys can be a little bit rough on the palate, while older ones are much smoother.
Finally, it becomes more valuable. This is because it will continue to mature and develop over time, so older whiskeys are often considered to be of higher quality.
So if you're looking for a good quality whiskey, be sure to look for one that has been aged for at least 3 years. You won't be disappointed!
Premade Handcrafted Whiskey Drinks
Premade whiskey drinks are a great way to discover new whiskeys and flavors. They are also convenient since all of the ingredients are combined in one package. This makes them perfect for parties or gatherings, where you want to offer something special but don't have time to prepare individual cocktails.
There are many different types of cocktail drinks available, so you're sure to find one that suits your taste. Some popular options include Bourbon Sour, Apricot Rye Smash, and Bourbon Berry Smash
So if you're looking for a quick and easy way to impress your guests, be sure to try one of the premade whiskey drinks. You won't be disappointed!