Simple Margarita Recipe
A margarita is one of the most popular tequila-based mixed drinks in the world. While there are many variations on the standard recipe, they all include similar ingredients: tequila, lime juice, triple sec, or another type of orange liqueur. This simple margarita recipe is a great starting point for anyone looking to master a classic yet delicious cocktail.
This easy margarita recipe requires just a few primary ingredients, which can easily be enhanced to adjust to your personal preference. For instance, you may prefer more or less lime juice or agave nectar instead of syrup.
Simple Margarita Ingredients
The Simple Margarita has the typical margarita ingredients.
- Orange Liqueur: Because it's a simple recipe, any orange liqueur you have on hand will do. Triple Sec and Cointreau each work very well.
- Fresh Lime Juice: No matter what kind of margarita you're making, it's important that you include freshly squeezed lime juice. Store-bought lime juice and lime juice concentrate tend to have additives included that can alter the taste.
- Tequila: Any quality of tequila will work for this recipe, including Mezcal.
- Simple Syrup: Regular simple syrup is great for this recipe, but many people use simple sugar-free syrup and agave nectar which are tasty alternatives that don't alter the taste of the margarita.
How To Make Simple Margarita
This margarita version has only a few ingredients and is very easy to make! It should only take five minutes to prepare.
Single Serving - Simple Margarita Recipe
The single-serving recipe is delicious to enjoy during every season and is never a disappointment.
- 2 oz tequila
- 1 oz orange liqueur
- 0.5 oz fresh lime juice
- 0.5 oz fresh lemon juice
- 0.5 oz fresh orange juice
- 1/2 - 1 oz simple syrup
In a cocktail shaker, combine the above ingredients with ice. Seal the shaker, shake well for thirty seconds, and strain into a chilled margarita glass over ice.
If using a mixing glass, stir the ingredients together with ice before straining them into the glass.
Pitcher Serving - Simple Margarita Recipe
Want to share the deliciousness? This version of the recipe is perfect for a party, which provides eight portions.
- 16 oz tequila
- 8 oz orange liqueur
- 4 oz fresh lime juice
- 4 oz fresh lemon juice
- 4 oz fresh orange juice
- 4 - 8 oz simple syrup or agave
Using a large pitcher, add in all of the ingredients and stir well until the simple syrup is dissolved. If you prefer a colder drink, place the pitcher in the fridge before serving.
Alternate Margarita Recipes
There are a few other alternatives if you want a delicious margarita with a little more taste and flavor.
- Spicy Margarita
- Pineapple Margarita
- Cucumber Margarita
Simple Margarita FAQ
How to make a top-shelf margarita?
To make a top-shelf margarita, you need top-shelf tequila and orange liqueur. Use Grand Marnier for the orange liqueur and Patron for the tequila. The top-shelf term is derived from the age and the type of tequila you are putting into the drink. Typically, it's a more expensive brand.
How to make a frozen margarita?
Margaritas are delicious on their own, but there's something about frozen margaritas that is truly special. Frozen margaritas are easy to make using the recipe above; instead of using a cocktail shaker or pitcher, use a blender and add one cup of ice for the single serving and four cups for the pitcher serving. You can add more ice as you see fit.